The main civic church in Alsfeld, dedicated to St. Walpurga, has a complicated building history. This is reflected both in the interior design and in the outer construction. Excavations carried out in 1971/1972, revealed the remains of the oldest section, a three apses Roman Church dating back to the 8th/9th century. In the late 13th century an early Gothic Basilica was built, with a low, elongated choir and west tower. In 1393, the choir was reconstructed, made longer and substantially higher. Plans to reconstruct the long house had to be cancelled as the church tower collapsed in 1394 and the funds were needed for reconstruction. In 1492, the existing basilica was further developed. Later the aisles were widened and heightened to form high arcades and create a hall-like church. Features include: a Roman baptismal font, late Gothic frescoes, carved altar, paintings, choir seating, baroque epitaphs and a late Gothic crucifixion group. Work on the collapsed tower commenced soon after the event and was only completed in 1542, with a strengthened octagonal storey topped by a Renaissance canopy. In 1836 one storey was removed. The tower has 7 bells, is approximately 50 metres high and was the residence of the tower keeper until 1921. Every year the traditional “Cradle of Christ” music is played over the Christmas Period. A trombone choir performs the traditional “May Blowing” every night during the month of May from the top of the tower.