There used to be at least 120 public wells within the city boundary. Most of these wells disappeared following the construction of the water supply pipeline in 1896. This well was rediscovered and restored during the construction of the pedestrian precinct in 1974. It is 7.5 metres deep with a water level of 2 metres. A frog prince watches over the well.