Presumably founded towards the end of the 13th century, and occupied by Eremite Hermit Monks. This is where Luther’s friend, Tilemann Schnabel, the reformer of Alsfeld lived and worked. At the time of the Reformation, in 1527, the monastery and church were closed down. Subsequently the buildings were used as a hospital and finally left to ruin. One remaining monastery wall shows where the monks’ cells were located. The monastery was situated along the city wall, which had four gates and was largely demolished in the 19th century. A short section of the city wall remains and can be seen on the south side.